Entry Procedure and Visa Rules
Nepal visas are available at Nepalese Embassies and Nepalese Consulates abroad or upon arrival at Tribhuvan International Airport in Kathmandu. You need to present a valid passport, 2 passport size photos, and payment of the visa fee. Tourists can extend their visas at the Department of Immigration, Kalikasthan, Dillibazar, Kathmandu. Now a day there is online services also to apply visa. Click Here for online Visa Aplication.
Entry visas to Nepal are easily available at International Airport of Nepal or at the following immigration offices in Nepal:
- Tribhuvan International Airport, Kathmandu
- Kakarvitta, Jhapa (Eastern Nepal)
- Birganj, Parsa (Central Nepal)
- Kodari, Sindhupalchowk (Northern Border)
- Belhiya, Bhairahawa (Rupandehi, Western Nepal)
- Jamuna, Nepalgunj (Banke, Mid Western Nepal)
- Mohana, Dhangadhi (Kailali, Far Western Nepal)
- Gaddachauki, Mahendranagar (Kanchanpur, Far Western Nepal)
Visa Fees and Extensions
Visa can be extended for those who wish to stay for more than 60 days at the Department of Immigration in Kalikasthan, Dillibazar, Kathmandu. Children under 10 years need not pay any visa fee. Two passport size photographs are essential.
Multiple entry 15 days US$ 30 or equivalent convertible currency
Multiple entry 30 days US$ 50 or equivalent convertible currency
Multiple entry 90 days US$ 125 or equivalent convertible currency
Tourist Visa Extension
Visa extension fee for 15 days or less is US $ 45 or equivalent convertible currency and visa extension fee for more than 15 days is US$ 3 per day Tourist visa can be extended for a maximum period of 150 days in a single visa year (January – December).
Gratis (Free) Visa
Gratis visa for 30 days available only for tourists of SAARC countries. Indian nationals do not require visa to enter into Nepal. However, effective from October 2000, Indians traveling to Nepal by air have to show upon arrival at entry point either a valid passport or voter´s identity card issued by the Election Commission of India. Temporary identity card with photographs issued by Nepal-based Indian diplomatic missions is considered in case of exception. Children under 10 years need not show any identification. For students between the age of 10-18 years, School/ College photo ID card is valid.
Transit visa for one day can be obtained from Nepal´s immigration offices at the entry points upon the production of departure flight ticket via Tribhuvan International Airport in Nepal, by paying US $ 5 or equivalent convertible currency.
For further information, please, contact Department of Immigration, Kalikasthan, Dillibazar, Kathmandu.Tel: 977 – 01 – 4433934 / 4429660 /4438862 / 4438868, Fax: 977 – 01 – 4433935,
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Web:www.nepalimmigration.gov.np
Foreigner who intends to visit Nepal must hold valid passport or any travel document equivalent to passport issued by the government for visiting a foreign country prior to apply for visa.
No foreigner is entitled to enter into and stay in Nepal without valid visa. Tourist entry visa can be obtained for the following duration from Nepalese Embassy or Consulate or other mission offices or immigration offices located on entry points in Nepal.
Chinese citizen are requested to apply in Nepalese Embassy or other Nepalese diplomatic missions as there is no provision of on arrival visa for them.
B) Visa Fee:
1. Fee required obtaining Tourist Visa from Nepalese diplomatic agencies and entry points:
- US $ 30 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 15 days.
- US $ 50 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 30 days.
- US $ 125 or equivalent foreign currency for Tourist Visa with Multiple Entry for 100 days.
- Regardless of the provision stated in 1(a) and 1(b), tourists with passport from South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) nations aren´t required to pay visa fee for 30 days
2. Fee to be levied for renewal or regularization of tourist visa
- Nepalese currency equivalent to US $ 3 per day to renew the validity of tourist visa.
- If multiple entry facility is required to be valid for the renewed period, additional US $ 20 along with fees prescribed in 2 (a) has to be paid.
- Foreigner who have stayed here without renewing visa, need to pay Nepalese currency equivalent to US $ 5 per day along with the reqired extension fee.
- Foreigners, who have already overstayed for more than 150 days without renewing tourist visa shall be levied the fees referred in clause 2(c) and a penalty of Rs 50,000 as per the Immigration Act.
- Regardless of provision stated in 2(a), 15 days is counted as minimum extension period and visa fee is charged accordingly. For extension period more than 15 days, visa fee is charged as per the provision of 2(a).
- The tourist visa shall be granted for a period in maximum of 150 days in a visa year (Visa years means January to December).
- A tourist who has departed before the expiry of the period specified in the visa issued in a visa year shall not be allowed to use the visa by adding the remaining period to another visa year.
- However, foreigner visitors, who have entered the country towards the end of a visa year, can use the remainder of his visa period in another visa year.
- For Latest Visa Information Please Visit Government of Nepal Ministry of Home Affairs Department of Immigration Web Site